Ethically-produced, sugarcane-derived squalane oil is at the heart of what we do here at Biossance. Not only is it central to our mission of sustainability and ocean conservation, but we also put it in every single one of our products. Why? Because it’s your body’s best moisturizer, hands down.
To celebrate National Oceans Month, we’re launching a
Read on to learn how to use squalane oil for your smoothest, softest skin and hair ever.
What Is Squalane?
To explain what squalane is, we need to start with squa
Historically, beauty companies have sourced squalene from shark livers, but our scientists found a way to replicate it ethically and sustainably by using bio-fermented sugarcane. Even better: squalane is a molecular match for the moisture found in human skin, making it an incredibly effective bioidentical hydrator.
Why Sugarcane-Derived Squalane Is More Sustainable
You may have heard that other skincare brands derive their vegan squalane from olives. When you compare the environmental impact of sugarcane- versus olive-derived squalane, our sugarcane-based production method:
- Reduces land use by 600 times versus olive
- Uses less water
- Results in 20x less impurities in the end product
- Creates odorless, colorless, and pure squalane
To us, that’s the sustainable skincare equivalent of a mic drop.
How Squalane Benefits Skin
Not only is using squalane a sustainable, vegan alternative to squalene, it’s also clinically proven to leave skin more hydrated, smoother, and softer.
Using squalane benefits skin by:
- Locking in moisture without feeling heavy or greasy
- Calming and protecting skin
- Improving skin’s moisture barrier
- Supports the skin’s microbiome and improves microbiome diversity
- Promotes cell turnover to improve the skin’s texture and tone
- Improving elasticity
- Balancing oil production without clogging pores
How To Use Squalane Oil 10 Different Ways
1. Seal In Your Facial Moisturizer.Add a few drops of 100% Squalane Oil on top of your moisturizer to seal it in and provide added hydration. You can do this daily as part of a
3. Help Reduce The Appearance Of Eczema.Our
4. Soothe Your Skin After Sun Exposure.UV rays can disrupt your skin’s moisture barrier even if you don’t get burned. Use
5. Tame Flyaways.Nothing spoils the luster of a fresh blow-dry like flyaway hairs sticking straight up from your scalp, or winging from the sides of your head. Add weightless control and shine by rubbing a few drops of squalane oil between your palms and distributing through your hair as needed.
7. Use It As A Hydrating Massage Oil For Face And Body.Indulge in an at-home massage using
8. Add it To Your Bath. Enjoy a luxurious soak and emerge with softer, more hydrated skin by adding a few pumps to a full tub. This is especially helpful if you have dry or sensitive skin that feels irritated after bathing.
10. Give Your Scent More Staying Power. The lipids in our fragrance-free