We're overflowing with excitement as we prepare to celebrate International Squalane Day this Saturday, October 14!
1. Squalane is a Planet-Positive Gamechanger
We changed the game when we launched our sugarcane-based squalane and shared it with the entire industry, reducing the demand for shark-derived squalene.
For generations, beauty products were fortified with squalene—an exceptional moisturizer naturally found in human skin—at the cost of millions of sharks, harvested for their squalene-rich livers. Scientists at our parent company, Amyris, discovered how to engineer a similar substance—squalane—from fermenting sustainable sugarcane and yeast.
Even better: We can make as much as the world needs while saving 2 million sharks every year. In fact, we can produce the world’s yearly supply of squalane using only 1 sq km of land without requiring irrigation, addressing the world’s needs without depleting the planet.
We proved that it's possible to create the best moisturizing ingredient available while saving millions of sharks every year, helping support crucial marine ecosystems by protecting these incredible apex predators.
2. Its Byproducts Aren’t Wasted
We’re striving to create as close to a closed manufacturing process as possible by reducing waste and using as much of the actual sugarcane as we can. For example:
- Two-thirds of sugarcane’s weight comes from water. We use this water to aid in our processing, reducing consumption.
- We use bagasse –the fibrous pulp that remains after sugarcane stalks are crushed to extract their juice – to create our tree-free outer packaging.
- Additional leftover bagass is used to generate electricity to fuel our manufacturing plant.
- Any excess electricity not used by the sugarcane mill or fermentation plant is released free of charge to power local Brazilian communities.
3. It’s Your Body’s Perfect Moisturizer
Squalane is nothing short of a molecular miracle, perfectly mimicking your body’s natural moisture as it weightlessly absorbs into your skin. In fact, Our squalane is purer, more stable and effective, than shark squalene and is safe for all skin types – even sensitive.
4. It Makes Your Skincare Work Harder
Squalane is the perfect conduit for active ingredients such as
5. It’s Received the National Eczema Society Seal of Approval
Our pure sugarcane squalane helps strengthen your skin’s protective moisture barrier which has been associated with calmer, less reactive skin. Three of our squalane-fueled formulas — including our 100% Squalane Oil — have been honored with the
If you suffer from eczema, we recommend trying one of these National Eczema Association-approved Biossance products: